Ad

Sunday, November 13, 2022

How many Tarot decks?

How many Tarot decks?

As I have said, there are thousands of Tarot decks to choose from!  I started with the Buddha Tarot, by Robert M. Place, and then moved to the Rider-Waite-Smith deck.  BUT, now I have so many Tarot decks.  As an artists, I love seeing all of the different kinds of decks. 

You can finds decks with pretty much any theme that you can think of.  There are angels, animals, herbs, flowers, crystals, ones from movies, even some from DC Comic, the list goes on and on.  It is also interesting to see the ones from different countries and how the history plays into the artwork, such as Anime, Japanese Block-prints, or the Santa Muerte Tarot.

There are also different shaped decks, mostly rectangle, but there are also the circle decks. The Motherpeace Tarot by Karen Vogel and Vicki Noble is probable the most well know circle deck (which is on my wish list). Then there are different shaped boxes that they come in, too!  My most unusual shaped box is coffin shaped and when it is opened it has a recording that sounds like the squeaking wood of the coffin door. Pretty creepy!



Do you need so many?

No, one deck is all that you need.  Some people connect to their first deck and that is the only one that they will ever have and use, and that is perfectly fine.  But, it can become addicting to search out new decks and see what they have to offer. You never know which ones you might connect to.

Do I use all of my decks?

No, I actually have some that I have never used. I really like to get to know my decks, so I spend a lot of time using just one deck before moving onto another one.  Sometimes, I may use one deck for a very long period of time because it feels right.  Then I have some that I have used a couple times and really just didn't connect with.  (Those decks I have gifted to someone else.) 

Do I have to be gifted a deck to start?

NO!  I am not sure where that idea came from, but don't pay attention to it.  If that was the case there wouldn't be that many readers out there today. If you see a deck that sparks your interest, go for it. 

Do I have to have one deck for myself and then a different one to do readings for other people?

No, I think this is purely a personal choice.  I use the same decks for myself and for others. I do cleanse the decks between using them, so I feel like they are a "new" deck each time.  Because I really want to "know" the decks, I like using them for myself and for others and this helps seeing the cards in different ways. 

How many decks do you have?

As of this writing, I have 35 Tarot decks and 10 Oracle decks.  That really is not too many, lol.  (Plus, the couple that I got rid of because they didn't suit me.)  I have the space in my home to store my decks and I have the means to be able to purchase them.  But, if you do not - then don't buy them! The number of decks you have doesn't matter!  If you connect to one, that is all you need! 

I have a long list of decks that I still would like to buy.  Sometimes, I come across them on sale, so I may buy it even if it wasn't at the top of the list or may not have been on the list at all! I would buy them used too (if I knew all the cards were there), because of how I cleanse my decks.  I will be talking about that also in a future post. 

What is your favorite deck?

Ohhhh, this is a hard one to answer.  I think it depends on my mood of the day or how my week is going at the time.  So, I think that I will save this question for another post. I will be sharing more in depth about different decks in the future.  There are many different reasons why I may like (or not) a particular deck. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

February 2023 - 7 of Pentacles

 WOW! February came and went.  It never ceases to amaze me how fast time can go by sometimes.  I drew the 7 of Pentacles for my February ca...